Can we talk about smoothies for a minute? Preferably, how much I love them and how my concept of the smoothie has recently been revolutionized? I’m talking mind-blown revolutionized. Gone are the days where I only made green smoothies that tasted like tropical dirt. Did you know that you could make a smoothie that is rich in protein, packed with superfoods, literally tastes like a bowl of chocolate, and is actually GOOD for you? I kid you not. This has been my every single day breakfast for at least the past year (and sometimes lunch too).
This creamy chocolatey goodness is full of micronutrients, good fats, and protein. It uses my favorite fruit — the young coconut (which surprisingly doesn’t taste like coconut … because that would be gross), pumpkin seed protein, and ingredients like ashwaghanda (a well-known adaptogenic), reishi mushroom (enough said), and raw cacao, which is rich in antioxidants. You can also combine your morning cup of coffee with this smoothie, which I promise you will take things to a whole new level.
I know it’s hard for you to get over your dislike of all things chocolate or the belief that you can’t have it in the morning, but allow me to clear up any misconceptions you may have: Cacao is good for you, especially in the morning, and especially in this smoothie.Print
Cacao “Perfect” Protein Smoothie
With a rich chocolatey flavor, a hint of mocha, and 16 grams of protein, this smoothie tastes good and builds muscle.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Minute
- Total Time: 10 Minute
- Yield: 2 16 ounce Servings 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Rinse and soak almonds and dates. (You can skip this step if you want but I find that soaking the almonds for a few minutes makes it blend easier.)
- Open the young coconut. (I use this coconut opener.) Scrape out the meat and add it to the blender with the milk of the young coconut.
- Blend almonds, dates, and coconut milk.
- Add the remaining ingredients and add ice and water to your desired texture. If you want a smoothie bowl, use less water. If you want to drink it in a glass, add more.
- Serving Size: 16 oz.
- Calories: 329
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 53
- Protein: 16
Keywords: Cacao Protein Smoothie